Updated: Feb 5, 2021
Happy New Year! After the whirlwind that 2020 has been, I think we're all ready for 2021! To get into that New Year spirit, I've designed this beginner-friendly three-inch hoop. It's the perfect size to keep on your work desk or to add a touch of colour to a display. I did mine in pink tones but you can pick any colour you fancy.
You Will Need
- A 3-inch embroidery hoop
- An embroidery needle - we're using the full six strands of thread for this pattern so pick one on the larger size.
- Fabric - approx 5" by 5" - I used patterned fat quarter but any non-stretch fabric is good.
- Embroidery Thread - I used DMC 310 for the black thread and then DMC Diamant D316 for the sparkly pink accent.
- A fabric safe pen to transfer the design - I recommend the Pilot Frixion pen
- Supplies for your preferred method of backing the hoop.
Transferring the pattern
There are many ways you transfer the pattern onto your fabric. You can either print off the pattern, place your fabric on top and use a lightbox, windows, glass table with a light underneath etc, or you can open the pattern on your laptop or tablet, place your fabric on top of the screen and transfer that way - whatever works best for you! Make sure to use a fabric-safe pen that's water or heat erasable so you can remove the lines after you've finished stitching.
Stitching the design
Once your design is transferred and your fabric is in the hoop, it's time to start stitching! Taking the full six strands of DMC 310, use backstitch to embroider the 'Hello'. Once that's done, use two strands of DMC 310 to embroider the '2021' using backstitch. For the little lines either side of the '2021' use a single stitch in DMC Diamant D316. Lastly, backstitch along the one side of the inside lines of the 'Hello' using DMC Diamant D316. Then simply remove the pen lines, finish your hoop and you're done!
I hope you enjoyed stitching this sweet little hoop, if you make one please send me your photos to my Instagram page!
Here's to a healthier and happier 2021